Skip to main content

In the Beginning...

Way back in the late 1970s, I learned how to play trumpet. Like all people, I had my ups and my downs, but by about 1984 I'd become the 1st chair and lead in my high school's concert, jazz, and marching bands. I suppose I'd reached an average to above-average level of capability for someone my age. I got lucky when it came to band directors as my first two were both trumpet players first, and both had great chops, technique and tone. I learned a lot from them.

As a junior in high school, I qualified for the Northern Kentucky High School Select Band after what I thought was a good audition. However, I had won eighth chair in a section of nine. (A week later I'd discovered that the head judge was from the high school with trumpet players that won 1st, 2nd, and 4th chairs. Oh well.) As depressed as I was about it, something very gratifying happened during my time with that ensemble.

On about the 4th day of rehearsals we were playing something dark and orchestral-sounding when the director suddenly stopped the band and looked directly at me. He asked me who I was and from what school. Needless to say I was sweating from nerves and wondered what the heck I'd done wrong, so I think I gurgled out my reply. "And what kind of trumpet are you playing?" 

"It's a Getzen Eterna, sir," and I didn't think to elaborate further on the model (it was a Severinsen Large Bore Model specifically) since I was planning my escape once he kicked me out. It didn't help that up the line I heard some snickering from the other trumpet folk. Getzen trumpets have always been looked down upon by many due to the preponderance of Bach Stradivarius trumpets in orchestras and concert bands all over the world for many years. That they were too bright or they project too much to blend with a section was the predominating rabble. Thus, the next words out of his mouth were not expected...

"Well, son, you have the nicest tone I've heard from a high school player in years. Kudos to you and your teacher." 

I was flabbergasted (clearly, so was the rest of the trumpet section) and have never forgotten that compliment which removed any disappointment I had with where I sat. I also never coveted another trumpet after noticing what everyone else was playing up the line. To me, the best horns let more of your personal sound show through, and that horn really jived with me through the years. 

Author's note (no pun intended): I still have her, by the way, but I stopped playing her once I found red rot in the leadpipe around 2000. I am currently discussing options with an experienced tech regarding its restoration.

I was awarded my high school's "John Philip Sousa Award" as the most outstanding musician when I graduated, but I never felt like I was good enough to attempt a career in music. I did start as a music and engineering double-major in college, but after a semester I devoted my time to engineering school. Throughout undergraduate and graduate school, I assisted several local high school bands including my own. In the 1987 high school marching season, I co-wrote my high school's drill and was the upper-brass instructor when the band won several major state competitions regardless of the fact they were competing against much larger bands. The miraculous thing was, at the time, they marched 7th and 8th graders with the high school just to be able to field at least 60 members or so. Regardless, the number of awards and compliments they received that year was extremely rewarding for them, and for me.

I moved to Maryland around 1992 and attempted to keep giving lessons when I could to the children of my coworkers, but that didn't last long. I essentially played my last in the late '90s. To fill the musical "hole" in my life, I gravitated toward guitar, first acoustic, then electric. I had a lot of fun with it and accumulated a lot of really nice gear over the years, but I never got the same feeling from playing guitar that I did playing trumpet. Playing the trumpet could put me in a state of euphoria... or meditation... It's honestly really hard to describe. I enjoy guitar; I LOVE trumpet.

So after all these years, and for no other reason than missing it so, I've decided to try to make a comeback. If you wish, follow along with me on my journey. Hopefully I can find my musical soul once again. Wish me luck.

Comments